How is inter-menstrual bleeding treated ?

am 27 years old,i had my period one week ago and now its back again its never happened before and a pain in right side and a lot of headaches
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 32 minutes later

Any inter-menstrual bleeding is abnormal. This needs to be further evaluated with Gynecological examination. First I would rule out pregnancy if you are sexually active. Check with Home pregnancy test.

The other causes for inter-menstrual bleeding are:
1. Cervical erosion
2. Polyps
3. Oral contraceptive pills
4. Inter-Uterine Contraceptive Devices
5. Local trauma (injury) etc

Some times bleeding may occur during ovulation. This is normal.

The cause can be identified only after local examination, so as to identify the source of bleeding. You will also have to undergo a test called Pap smear. This test is routinely done in cases of inter-menstrual bleeding to rule out any serious condition like cervical cancer. The pain on the right side of the abdomen could suggest dysmenorrhea. Headaches are also known to occur during ovulation and pregnancy. Without further history and examination I cannot arrive at a possible diagnosis for your symptoms.

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.