How is hypertension treated ?

My husband is turning 50 in June2011, he is 5'9", 165lbs, not fat. I took his blood pressure for the last days, its 141 over 101, then the next day, 157/106, then 102/80. Is there something wrong and should I be concern.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 20 minutes later

If there are more than 3 readings of blood pressure on different occasions more than 140/90 mmHg, then it is considered that the person is suffering from hypertension ( High BP ).

However, if there’s a single reading of the diastolic pressure being more than 100 mmHg, it is still considered as hypertension and the patient is treated on those lines.

As your husband has got 2 readings where the diastolic blood pressure readings are more than 100 mmHg, I sincerely feel that he will need to be on anti-hypertensive drugs.

However, before going ahead, it makes sense that he gets himself evaluated by doing an ECG, echocardiography, eye (fundus) examination, lipid profile, kidney function tests etc.

The ECG and echocardiography help in looking for the changes in the heart due to hypertension and the eye examination helps in ruling out any damage to the retina due to hypertension.

If the effects of hypertension are evident in these organs, then the patient definitely needs treatment.

Kindly consult a physician for the same.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.