How is high fever and high pulse treated ?

My daughter had a fever of 38.9,,, pulse rate of 160 per minute, heart rate 210 per minute, seems like her heart is beating so fast, should I take her to the doctor immediately? I have a doctor's appointment with her 12 hours from now, should I go emergency? She took panadol 1 hour ago, now is 38.4.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for your question.

Your question is a good one and I will try to provide you with good information and recommendations regarding what is going on with your doctor.

You mentioned in your question that her heart rate is 160 and then subsequently you say that it is 210. I would like to know how you are measuring the heart rate at this time.

Certainly with a fever for heart rate will definitely go up. With any fever for heart rate generally goes up from 10 to 15 bpm with each degree Fahrenheit of increase in temperature.

210 sounds very very high for a Puls which is why I am wondering the type of equipment you used to measure the Pulse.

For now I would continue giving her the recommended dose of medication for fever. As long as she is otherwise stable and not complaining of shortness of breath or chest pains I think it is okay to wait to see the doctor as scheduled.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my answer to be helpful and informative. If there is anything else I can help you with please let me know.

Dr. Galamaga