How is high blood pressure managed ?

Hello Doctor, I am sailaja - Female, Age 37, Height 5feet, weight 65. I am having high BP(150/100 and today it has gone to 155/111 as well) from more than month. I am using the the tablet Amlokind-5Mg from Mankind Pharma @dosage 1tab per day from last one month and under control diet of salt as well and daily going for 0.5 hr walk. However, instead of seeing my BP under control, I see a hike further to 155/111 and much worried now. I got checked the Kidney, Blood, Sugrar, Cholestrol, Urine tests. All are normal but except that Blood count is Hemoglobin 8.4gms, RBC is 2.8mil/cmm and triglorides are 180Mg/dl. Can you please advice further what kind of treatment and specialized doctor I should look forward. Appreciate your kind advice in this regards. Also would be great if you can suggest which specialist I should go. I heard from one of my friend that I should undergo MRI scan and clear from any suspicious on heart problem or cancer symptoms. Can you please suggest further on these as well.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 31 minutes later

Let me give you a brief information about the management of BP.

Blood pressure readings are measured in millimeters of mercury (mmHg) and usually given as two numbers -- for ‎example, 120 over 80 (written as 120/80 mmHg). One or both of these numbers can be too high.‎
The top number is your systolic pressure.‎
     It is considered high if it is over 140 most of the time.‎
     It is considered normal if it is below 120 most of the time.‎
The bottom number is your diastolic pressure.‎
     It is considered high if it is over 90 most of the time.‎
     It is considered normal if it is below 80 most of the time.‎

Pre-hypertension may be considered when your:‎
     Top number (systolic) is between 120 and 139 most of the time, or
     Bottom number (diastolic) is between 80 and 89 most of the time

Many factors can affect blood pressure, including:‎
     How much water and salt you have in your body
     The condition of your kidneys, nervous system, or blood vessels
     The levels of different body hormones

In addition to taking medicine, you can do many things to help control your blood pressure, including:‎
Eat a diet XXXXXXX in fruits, vegetables, fiber and low-fat dairy products while reducing total and saturated fat ‎intake ‎
Drink plenty of water.‎
     Exercise regularly -- at least 30 minutes a day.‎
     If you smoke, quit -- find a program that will help you stop.‎
     Limit the amount of sodium (salt) you eat -- aim for < 1,500 mg per day.‎
     Reduce stress -- try to avoid things that cause stress for you.
You can also try meditation or yoga.‎ There are different poses in yogasana and pranayamas that help to control the BP. But you should not do it on your own. You should train under a good yoga teacher and then practice. Or else , it can cause worsening of your condition.
     Stay at a healthy body weight -- find a weight-loss program to help you, if you need it.‎

From the history provided, it seems that you have a higher blood pressure which is not being controlled inspite of taking medications.

First of all you need to monitor your BP recordings continuously for a week 3 to 4 times a day. Follow all the measures that I have mentioned above. These measures should help to control your blood pressure to some extent. In case the BP does not reduce inspite of all the above, then You may need an increase in the dosage of medication or addition of medications.

You should not get angry or stressed that you have blood pressure. The more you are relaxed , and follow a disciplined life, the more you will have control over it.

In addition to the above, Presence of low Hemoglobin, is a cause of anemia. Anemia can result in a hyperfunctioning of the heart and hence some times can cause a elevated BP.

You might consult a experienced cardiologist or a Specialist in XXXXXXX medicine, who can help you manage your pressure as well as evaluate the cause of anemia and treat is accordingly. Keep regular follow up appointments with him and seek his advice as and when needed. Be compliant with medications, diet and lifestyle management.

I hope this helps to answer your question effectively.

Please feel free to consult me again if you have additional queries.

Dr Anvekar.