How is hepatitis and enlarged liver treated ?

I have low potassium and I have to take 3 pills a day to maintain a normal level. I just recently found out that my liver enzymes are at 196. I am really concerned about the enzyme level, but the doctor said that a lot of people have a fatty liver which is what she is saying I have. I had an ultrasound done and cancer, tumors, etc. were ruled out. What do I do at this point? I am trying to lose weight, but is my liver okay at this point? Does the low potassium enter into this?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Follow-up: How is hepatitis and enlarged liver treated ? 9 minutes later
I thought you might need to know that I have had my gall bladder removed. I was also told that my liver is a little enlarged. The doctor said that my enzymes had been going up over the last 4 or 5 labs that have been taken. I'm not sure of the time period on that. I know I had a lab done in January and the latest one was this month. Why would the enzymes be running that high? I have gained weight and I have been eating out every time I turn around. I really have been indulging myself, but I have lost 5 pounds in the last 2 weeks. My doctor said there was nothing she could prescribe for this and recommended something herbal from the health food store. Should I do that, or should I just go on to a specialist? Do I leave this in a family practitioner's hands? She wants to check my blood again in one month. I am so scared. What is wrong and what do I need to do?
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 14 hours later

There are four liver enzymes that are a part of LFT - ALT, AST elevation indicating liver inflammation & ALP elevation indicating an obstructed biliary system. So you need to clarify on this aspect to help you further.

Elevated ALT, AST can be commonly because of fatty liver, drugs or viral infections. Further management and implications depends on the underlying cause. Yes, regularly every doctor gets the liver profile done every month.

Please specify the complete Ultrasound abdomen reports and the liver profile report along with all the liver enzymes. I would be in a better position to answer all your queries once I would know all the reports.

Awaiting your reply.

Dr. Poorna Chandra
Follow-up: How is hepatitis and enlarged liver treated ? 8 days later
My liver ultrasound said: 1. Upper normal liver size. 2. No mass is identified in the confines of the liver. 3. The kidney on the right appears normal. 4. By history, the patient has had a cholecystectomy.

It also said in the paragraph the liver is upper normal size at 15cm. What does this mean? Is my liver okay? My AST was 96 and my ALT was 195. All the other tests for hepatitis A, B, C were negative. My bilirubin, alkaline phosphatase, a/g ratio, globulin and albumin are normal. I'm not sure what my ferritin is now, but in January, it was at 189. Is that too high? My doctor had me on iron from February 2010 till January 2010. I have also been on vitamins the problem? All I take now is postassium three times a day, nexium once a day, and atenolol with chlorthalid and plain atenolol switching between the two atenolols every other day. All of my other levels are fine and within range except the ferritin and something called MCV. My potassium is at 3.4 which is slightly low. My AST and ALT levels in September of 2009 were 20 and 25 respectively. That was the only other liver enzyme testing she did until January of this year and at that time AST was 52 and ALT was 101. The January testing was when she stopped the iron supplement. When she tested the other day and the levels were 96 and 195, she stopped the vitamin b complex and d3 and proceeded with the liver ultrasound. I am scared too death that something has happened to my liver from the vitamins and iron she had me on. I am having another blood test July 19th. What do you think the problem is? She had told me to take some herb to lower the enzymes, but isn't that a bad idea considering my enzymes are already high? I have read that herbs can harm the liver. I just don't know what to do. Does this sound like liver disease, or something else?
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 8 hours later
Thanks for the query,

With the data you have provided you have hepatitis with an enlarged liver.

This is usually seen with fatty liver disease, storage disorders or congestion of the liver.
With hypertension being there this most likely a fatty liver with inflammation (NASH).

NAFLD(Non insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome (obesity, combined hyperlipidemia, diabetes mellitus (type II) and high blood pressure).

It has also been reported that serum ferritin level, a major determinant of NAFLD in apparently healthy obese individuals, is significantly correlated with the amount of visceral fat mass and hepatic steatosis.

Some drugs can also cause this but the drugs and vitamins that you are taking are less likely to do so.Raise in ferritin with supplementation is expected and a raised ferritin is a marker of activity in XXXXXXX Liver disease perse secondary to iron occurs when ferritin is > 100mg/dl. As of NAFLD you need to exercise, reduce weight (if obese- BMI >24 or waist > 90cm) and this may aid reversal of improvement. See your GI for further help.

For Herbal medications check for products which have the THR (Traditional Herbal Register) or Product Licence (PL) number on the label.Otherwise self it can be XXXXXXX