Ask a Dentist   »  

How is hematoma or soft tissue swelling treated ?

Hi. My 14 year old daughter was kicked on the side of the leg during a soccer game two weeks ago while at camp. They iced it several times a day for three days. The bruise is severe extending from her calf to her ankle. There is a lump in the middle that is numb. We just noticed that the lump is now red and warm to the touch. It still feels numb and she doesn't have any pain. Can this wait until tomorrow or should I take her to the E.R.?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 42 minutes later

The swelling in the middle of the leg which your daughter seems like a hematoma or soft tissue swelling or an abscess.

A physical examination and X-ray will be helpful in making the diagnosis. It needs an early medical attention and will be best if you take her to an ER.

In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your leg- do not bear weight on it.
2. Antibiotics and sometimes surgical drainage of the collection is needed.
3. Mild analgesics will help in pain.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.