How is headache and sinus treated ?

my brother is 40 years old and last Friday he started to have a headache in his left front area. He describes the headache like small knife stabs, not very strong, just annoying, and with a kind of regular frequency (once a minute, some times less). He also has very high fever , reaching up to 40 degrees that goes down to 37 as soon as he takes 2 paracets. He has no cold symptoms, or back or neck pains.

We went to the doctor yesterday and they said they were not sure of it being a virus or a bacteria, and they gave him antibiotics anyway. He has not improved since yesterday though. We are starting to be concerned about it and afraid that it could be something more serious. Any advices?

Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 7 hours later

Normally when ever fever comes it can lead to headache what ever may be the cause. Your doctor is right, sometimes of the first visit it is not possible to have definitely clue about the reason for fever.

The symptoms and fever pattern suggests again a mixed picture. He may possibly have some sinus problem. When ever the sinus gets blocked specially frontal sinus it can give rise to frontal headache and high grade fever.

As has already been to doctor and primary examination is done, I do not see any reason for worry. Antibiotics have been started just 24 hours back, the drug needs some time to work, which normally ranges from 48-72 hours depending upon the drug used.

Once the drug achieves sufficient level in blood then only you will see some relief. I would also suggest you to get a CT scan of the head and neck done which will help us in coming to a conclusion after discussing with your doctor.

Continue the medications as advised by the doctor, can give antipyretics for fever as and when required, give him light diet, plenty of liquids and proper rest. He should be fine in couple of days.

Just look for warning signs:

1. Increasing headache
2. Vomiting
3. Visual disturbances
4. In ability to eat.

If any of this happens you need to see your doctor again.

I hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up.