How is glossitis treated ?

ENT Specialist
Hi, I’m 25 years old. Since the past few days I have been with dry mouth, I get very thirsty, practically unstoppable till am over full. I have various red circle spots on my tongue. And have phlegm on my throat which is very hard to get rid of.
It doesn’t hurt; I can swallow and taste well.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 6 hours later

You are suffering from a minor entity called as Glossitis, it is a benign inflammation of tongue, secondary to some irritating factor like any drug, trauma, mineral water, occasionally viral, tobacco use in any form.

The treatment of this condition includes the following--

1- Quit any form of tobacco, or alcohol use(if you are taking it)
2- Avoid to take mineral water.
3- Drink plenty of water.
4- Avoid very hot food.

These were the general measures, now coming up to the specific medical treatment....

1- Apply some astringement locally over the tongue.
2- Take vitamin and mineral supplements.
3- Do betadine gargles, diluted with water at least 3 times a day.
4- Deworming drug single shot like albendazole 400 mg stat.
5- If you have sore throat like features in addition, then take a minor antibiotic.

Don't worry, it is a very common condition, and you will be all right in next 7 days, please just follow the above instructions.

Hope this will help you and I am available for the follow ups.