How is globus hystericus and GERD treated ?

I have the sensation of a lump in my throat after excessive vomiting with Acid Reflux. I find myself gagging when I try to swallow. Will this go away and is it normal?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 7 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. The sensation of lump in the throat is called globus hystericus. Globus hystericus is a subjective sensation where people feel a lump in the throat. The most common cause is gastro esophageal reflux disease – GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). It’s diagnosis is by fibroptic laryngoscopy or upper GO endoscopy.

Gag reflux is usually due to acid reflux, biliary disease, cranial nerve compression esp glossopharyngeal and vagus nerve and myasthenia gravis. In your case, since you have a history of GERD, hence acid reflux is responsible for the gag reflux. It should go away with the right treatment and the following lifestyle measures:

1)Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks.

2)It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down.

3)To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.

4)Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole after consulting your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.