How is gestational age determined?

I had sex on Oct 13th and know that fertalization occured within that week. I went for first dr appt and they did a transvaginal ultrasound. Baby measured 15mm and they said I was 7w6d but could not find a heartbeat. They said zero chance no glimmer of hope and baby was dead. They wanted to schedlue a d&c. Their dates don't make sense to me and I'm racking my brain trying to figure this out.
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It need to be calculated from last menstrual perio Detailed Answer: Greetings of the day The gestational age is calculated from the first day of your last menstrual period and not from day of ovulation as you would have calculated. Please recalculate it from the first day of last menstrual period. Assessment of gestational age by last menstrual period is only accurate when previous menstrual cycle were very regular. Also the size of the gestational age may vary if there has been fetal demise. I would suggest you to discuss this out with your Gynecologist. I hope it helped I would be glad to assist you if you need any further assistance Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha MBBS MD