How is gestational age calculated?

Last week my wife and I had our first pregnancy confirmed at 6 weeks and 2 days. Although we could see the sac we couldn't see the heartbeat. Eight days later we had a f/u ultrasound and confirmed the heartbeat at 118 bpm. All her bloodwork (e.g. HCG Levels) came back normal; however, now they've indicated that she is only 6 weeks and 1 day pregnant? I'm confused on the disconnect. Are they talking about gestational vs. fetal age?
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Variation is a normal phenomenon; causes several Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Calculation of the gestational age is based on the clinical history which includes the last menstrual period and the menstrual calender, the hormone levels and the findings of the trans-vaginal ultrasound. With sonographic findings alone there may be a variation of + or - one week and a repeat sonogram after a couple of weeks usually clarifies the issue. As long as all the parameters show normal progression of the pregnancy, there is no reason for worry. Periodic monitoring is all that is needed. Hope your query has been answered. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help. regards, Shanti.V.