Ask a Urologist   »  

How is fungal infection on the penis treated ?

I seem to have about 3 small red spots on the head of my penis under the foreskin. I try to keep it very clean but have noticed that the penis head is very shiny. I am 45 in good health but tend to sweat a lot. Also the skin between my butt cheeks is red and feels like it's got a fine split so is very itchy.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 57 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Changws of the skin which you describe on your penis as well as your backside is more than likely a manifestation of a very superficial fungal infection. These are extremely common and very easy to treat. Fungal infections tend to occur on areas of the body which become moist and warm.

The area on your penis which has been affected is more than likely caused by some perspiration in that area. On your backside this is the same problem.

What I recommend for you is to purchase and over-the-counter preparation. This preparation is called clotrimazole. This should not be a very expensive preparation. I recommended that you apply this cream to the affected areas three times per day for at least the next 10 days. In the meantime we must consider how we can help prevent this from occurring again. I recommend that you purchased a mild powder which again can be obtained over the counter.A powder that contains a small amount of cornstarch would most likely be the greatest benefit for you. The powder will help decrease the amount of perspiration in the area and hence decrease the reoccurrence of any fungal infection.

I hope I have presented an answer to your query which is both informative and adequate. If you have additional follow-up questions I am available to address them.

Dr. Robert.