Ask a Dentist   »  

How is frozen shoulder in diabetics treated ?

my left shoulder down to my elbow is in continuous severe pain. i have tried heating pads, bengay, ibuprophen. only the ibuprophen supplies some relief. it however only dulls the pain. i cannot use this arm at all. if someone tries to move it i scream in pain it is that bad. i did not injure it that i know of. it has been this way since last wednesday. the pain has not lessend and i now feel it starting in my other arm. what is this and what should i do.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The cause of your shoulder pain till your elbow seems to be due to frozen shoulder.
This is commonly seen in diabetics. Proper blood glucose levels control is required for controlling the further progression of the disease.
In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your arm muscles.
2. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.You need to get muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside prescribed from your orthopaedician.
4. Hot compresses to your arm and shoulder will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
5. Shoulder exercises can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist after the pain is relieved.
Please consult your Orthopedician to confirm the same and to discuss the necessary investigations to undergo and treatment options.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.