How is fishy odor controlled ?

hi my mother has a strong oder coming from her, i can only describe it as urine or fishy smelling, she does not shower daily but when she does the smell comes right back, its very strong and burns my nose, she also lived for years in a shack with mice and rats in horrible conditions very dirty conditions, she is a recovering meth addict (20 years on meth) and suffered extreme mental and physical abuse while living in the shack. she is now sober and living else where but the smell cont. her pc doc say the blood tests are normal,i have no clue if this is physical or mental? please help
thank you
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 20 minutes later

The strong odour which you have described can be due to infection. substance abuse and has lived in shack for sometime now, its also possible that she has developed such a body odour due to her lifestyle.

The best way to rule out any urinary tract infection is to get a Urine Routine Microscopy and Culture done. If its normal, it likely that she has developed such an odour due to her lifestyle.

Taking proper shower, using clean clothes, liberal use of deodorant and perfumes and talcum power will help you over come such a odour.

If her blood tests are normal, its unlikely that she has any major infection.

Hope this answers your query.

I will be available for your follow up queries if any.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran