How is endoscopic lung volume reduction done?

Is there a surgery for emphysema that involves the placement of a stint or bypass into the airways to open them for better breathing? I saw something like this on the Today show, and the results seemed to be good. My mom is 80 and in excellent health except for smoking related emphysema - she is on oxygen now and basically starving for air. Is there anything besides the inhalers, pills, oxygen, nebulizers, such as this surgery? Is she a candidate at her age? Is there a Dr. in the Chicago area that would be recommended for this type of thing - her current pulmonologist said he never heard of this procedure. Thanks She is on albuterol 4 times a day - singular - and other meds. I am looking for some relief for her, it is heartbreaking watching how hard she has to breath. Wondering if any physician in the Chicago area does this procedure or would consider it for her? It is supposed to be less invasive too.
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer....given below Detailed answer... Hello, Thanks for the query. You are right. This is a  new type of treatment and being offered at very few places. This treatment is called as endoscopic lung volume reduction and is a minimally invasive procedure where small  ENDOBRONCHIAL VALVES are put in the overinflated portion of lungs to allow escape of air.This is done through the help of a bronchoscope and there is no incision in the body. This procedures enables the bad part of lungs from breathing and good parts of lungs to breathe more. You can talk to your doctor and discuss with him regarding this. There is a hospital called as spire Leeds hospital in yorkshire which offers this type of treatment. As far as chicago is concerned,you have to discuss with some local pulmonologist regarding this. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck. Thanks
Follow-up: How is endoscopic lung volume reduction done? 18 hours later
The hospital you recommended that does this procedure is in yorkshire, england? Paid for this question in hopes you could point me to a local (Chgo) area hospital where we could start - and a Dr. that does this procedure. Is it done at Loyola, Rush, Pres. St. Lukes?? All big hospitals - approx 1 hr. away from where we live (suburbs) And which pulmonologist? Very much appreciate this info, since the reason I paid for this question/answer was to FIND someone, as we haven't had luck. Thanks for any help you can offer!
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Hello, As I wrote in my earlier answer,this surgery is being done at very few places and out of which spire Leeds hospital ( yorkshire,ENGLAND ) is one of them. Very frankly speaking,you will have to enquire from some local pulmonologist regarding the availability of this surgical facility at some nearby hospital. I feel deeply sorry for not being able to help you out in this matter. Best of luck Thanks