How is ear infection in children treated ?

my 1 year old has a very thick and yellow snotty nose. last night we noticed his ear was draining a yellow liquid and this morning it is more clear. i'm not sure what to do.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later
Drainage of a yellowish liquid from the ear indicates a middle ear infection in your baby. It needs to be treated vigorously with antibiotics by an ENT specialist . Earlier the treatment given, lesser are the complications.
The infection to the ear has most likely been transmitted from the nose which has thick and yellow secretions. It is necessary to put him under an expert treatment as early as possible. Till then you can take some general measures like-
1. Use ear plugs while giving him a bath to avoid water from going into the ears.
2. Give him staem inhalation thrice daily after putting eucalyptus oil into it to avoid congestion.
3. Normal saline nasal drops will help in decreasing congestion.
4. Use acetaminophen for any associated fever.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.