How is deep vein thrombosis treated ?

My mother in the UK is 91 [I live in Spain so am not supervising my mother as I live too far away] .My sister has just had to admit my mother to hospital again as in one leg and foot there is absolutely no blood circulating and she has the typical wound on lower leg that just won't heal.

The doctors are going to put some fluid intravenusly to help open an artery. This is the second time in 6 months they are doing this but say that they fear they will have to remove her leg. We are devistated for our 91 year old mother. Are there any other choices ? Like stets or laiser treatments. I understand that there are no other veins nor arteries in that leg in good condition but we are praying that someone can suggedt something. Thank You, Susi B
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 52 minutes later

Without the actual detailed medical history and reports of imaging studies like doppler, angiography it is difficult to give a accurate advice.

But from the description it seems that your mother had a vascular condition like DVT, varicose veins or peripheral artery disease which has now probably deteriorated with multiple points of obstruction within the blood vessels.

In case angiography and doppler studies have been done earlier, they would provide better information about the current status.

Laser treatments are not helpful to treat any obstructive lesions within the blood vessels.

Surgical reconstruction of the blood vessels, Bypass surgeries, placement of the stents (in this case, multiple stents ) - are some of the treatments that can be helpful in conditions like peripheral artery disease.

I might be able to provide more information, if additional details about the medical diagnosis and ongoing treatment is provided.

I hope this helps.