How is cricopharynx tear treated ?

ENT Specialist
GERD/hiatal hernia patient, female, 5'2, 205lb. age 37. The other day I felt like I swallowed too big of a piece of vegetable and then a little later I vomited kind of hard with mostly mucous with some vegetable fragments, a couple of times. A bit of fairly fresh blood came up with the mucus. Then it all spontaneously stopped altogether after a few minutes. This was 3 1/2 days ago. No dizziness, no significant pain just some residual gerd. No blood in stool whatsoever - completely normal. I have a call into a GI specialist but wondered how worried I should be.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Since it has been more than three days and the fresh blood has stopped spontaneously, with no blood in the stool, there should be no cause for worry.

2. The entrance of the esophagus (cricopharynx) is the narrowest part of our digestive system and hence the delicate mucosa (lining) may be injured by a large piece of food.

3. Your GI specialist may want to rule out any esophageal web, GERD, Laryngopharyngeal reflux (which is related to your hiatus hernia), esophagitis, Barrett's esophagus, strictures, varices; as these conditions should be ruled out.

4. For this a Ultrasound scans, Barium swallow or an endoscopy may be advised. You may insist on medical treatment first before you proceed, for example, only if this were to occur again.

I must stress again that any investigation is most likely to be to be within normal limits.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.