How is chronic nasal bleeding treated ?

ENT Specialist
Hello! I am a 39 year old female and also a breast cancer survivor of 7 1/2 years now. I am concerned because lately, although I have suffered from them all of my life, I have had some pretty bad nose bleeds that have lasted as long as 30 minutes. I am also a nurse so I know to put pressure and the normal protocol.... however, at times, without even having anything coming out of my nose I will have blood running (slowly and dark- not bright red) down the back of my throat sometimes for days at a time. Now I noticed my extremely strong sense of smell is diminishing. And I feel like I have a stuffy nose all the time even though there isn't anything there. So I looked with a flashlight and on the right side just inside the nostril it is so inflamed that the two sides are almost touching and the interior side has what seems like a large hard lump possibly. I feel some pressure and have had some headaches and my ears have hurt (my eustachian tubes always hurt with sinus stuff) off/on for awhile. Is this something that could wait for a few days? I actually have an appt with my oncologist for a breast cancer follow up visit on Weds if you think it isn't something I need to take care of asap.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 38 minutes later

Thanks for the query

Chronic nasal bleed is not a thing which you can wait and watch it is an emergency. You are a nurse; hence you would know the consequences of the chronic nasal bleed.

The nasal bleed could be due to the dryness of the nasal mucosa secondary to the medications you are taking. The large hard lumps you have noticed could be the nasal turbinates which usually get enlarged during the episodes of cold and sinusitis. As it is inflamed, it will be very friable and susceptible for bleeding. Added to that, the dryness of the nose will further worsen the symptoms. The symptoms that you mention like the dimnishing smell, stuffy and inflammed areas all can be explained with the dryness of the nostrils.

I would suggest you to consult an ENT specialist at the earliest, if you are unable to get an appointment rush to ER and discuss with the doctors over there. You will require a nasal endoscopy to look for the bleeder and cauterization if possible. Till then use saline nasal drops to keep the nasal mucosa moist and also drink plenty of warm water which helps in hydration.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon