How is chronic bronchitis due to social smoking treated ?

i am a 40 year old male .105kgs 6f2 height and generally healthy overall. I socially smoked for 20 years and have always had a smokers cough usually a chesty cough.As a child i had bronchitis an bad chest infections. I have given up smoking 9mths ago and still have the cough especially in the mornings . I had a chest xray 5 yrs ago and all was clear. I dont feel any other symptons just this annoying cough . I find it worse after i have drunk a few red wines at night ..
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 11 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

The very likely cause of your chronic cough may fall in one of two possibilities.

The first possibility we must consider would be the possibility that you may have what is called chronic bronchitis. This is a chronic condition which is caused by many years of smoking. It leads to a chronic degree of inflammation of the airway with sometimes eight persistent cough and secretion production.

The second possibility would be that you have developed a mild degree of chronic airway reactivity. This is also referred to as reactive airway disease. This is caused by a mild degree of inflammation of the airways which sometimes creates a spasm with believing. It can create a cough that is persistent throughout the day.

As far as what I would recommend to help improve your symptoms I believe you need a tool approach. I recommend a long acting inhaled steroid medication in addition to a beta agonist. You could obtain both of these medications in a single drug called Advair. You could obtain this from your primary care doctor and I am confident that it will help you feel better within a dew weeks.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional questions I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga