Ask a Dentist   »  

How is chondromalacia and knee tear treated ?

General Surgeon
Hello, 3 months ago I was diagnosed with a small linear tear of the patella tendon, tendonitis, and minor chondromalacia. My Ortho recommended rest, ice and ibuprofen. 2 months later I am not any better. I can only walk about 1/2 mile before being in pain and lately it feels like my kneecap is the top of a childproof medicine bottle and someone is pushing down on it and twisting it. Also when walking and changing direction my knee sometimes locks up. I made a follow up appointment, but can't the earliest available is 2 weeks. Is there anything I can do in the meantime to lessen the pain. The ideal rest isn't really and option as I have a 3 year old who wants mommy to play outside ALL of the time. I am 37 years old, 5' 3'', and 188 pounds. I am currently in weight watchers but not seeing that much weight loss due to the inability to exercise. THANKS!!!
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 24 minutes later

As you report no significant improvement even after two months of regular treatment, it may seem that the inflammatory changes are still persisting. Or perhaps the patellar cartilage may also could be inflammed (chondritis). Chondritis usually do not respond to simple treatment & takes longer time to heal.

Persisting inflammation explains pain during movements and relief with rest.

It is also important that you rule out any medical disease like diabetes that also hampers healing. It would have been better if you had have mentioned whether on or both knee joints are involved.

Now rest along with anti inflammtory analgesics (preferrably prescription NSAID drugs) & multivitamin & calcium may be required. If the pain is severe are repeat examination and scans may be needed..

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and speedy recovery”

Follow-up: How is chondromalacia and knee tear treated ? 21 hours later
It is only on my right knee. I have no pain in my left knee. I do not have any other medical conditions mentioned above.

Is there any kind of brace or immobilizer I should be using?
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 9 hours later
     Involvement of single knee joint indicates that pathology is local in the cartilage or bones or local soft tissue ,not systemic.If pain persist you must get MRI right knee done to pin point the problem & reach the correct diagnosis & for timely treatment. some times even arthritis or even osteoarthritis sets in at this age .So investigation /MRI is need of time .
‘Hope I have answered your query, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”