How is bulging forehead due to acromegaly treated ?

Neurologist
Question
i am 21 yrs old.

From my child hood i have a bulging on my forehead.i have had no injuries. both left and right side of the forehead are bulged just above the eye brows. but left side bulging is more compared to right side.

every time i look into my face on the mirror it looks horrible.
please suggest some non surgical treatment.
Also i have fat deposition around my waist.

my height:171cms
weight:73kgs
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 24 hours later

After going through the description provided by you, the Bulge on forehead is asymptomatic except for facial appearance. We can consider it to be due to Acromegaly (increase of anterior pituitary hormones or occult hydrocephalus).

But a Clinical Examination, Routine CBC and Blood sugar, X-ray of skull and of mandible, and MRI of Brain can rule out the cause. Management would follow according to the results of the investigations.

So, please get the above investigations done after discussing with your doctor and write back to me with the reports as this would help me in providing you with specific suggestions.

Regarding weight loss, according to your height and weight provided your BMI is 25.0 which falls in the Overweight region. The basic thing to lose weight would be Regular Physical exercises and diet restriction. You need to follow physical exercises regularly like walking, jogging, stretching exercises or can also join a fitness center. You need to consult a dietitian who will prepare a diet chart for you, which would be low calorie diet and follow it regularly.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Wish you a good health.

Regards.

Follow-up: How is bulging forehead due to acromegaly treated ? 32 hours later
hello,

thanks for your advice . in case if it is confirmed that my due to pituitary tumor.
then will removing the tumor correct the bulging of bones in the forehead region(without surgery).

if yes then is there any oral medication to remove that tumor.

more over after taking the mri scan,xray,blood sugar test etc whom should i consult?

Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 6 hours later
Hi ,
Thanks for the follow up.

Your answers to queries raised are as follows:

In case if it is confirmed that my bulge in the forehead is due to pituitary tumor then will removing the tumor correct the bulging of bones in the forehead region(without surgery):

NO, it will not be corrected with removal of tumor. It may regress to mild extent.

If yes then is there any oral medication to remove that tumor.

NO.

More over after taking the mri scan,xray,blood sugar test etc whom should i consult?:

You will have to consult a Neurologist/ Neurosurgeon.

Bye.