How is bronchitis of bacterial origin treated ?

ENT Specialist
I was diagnosed with a chest infection 2 weeks ago and was given a course of Amoxillin for 7 days. I finished the course but I am still coughing up yellow phlegm and today I feel tired and the breathlessness is back. Do I need to return to my doctor? I am 59.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Cough with yellowish expectoration could be due to Bronchitis of bacterial origin.

Plain Amoxycillin would not be enough to treat your problem. You require an appropriate antibiotic and a mucolytic to reduce the mucus production and to control the cough.

The sputum has to be sent for culture and sensitivity to find out the most suitable antibiotic which can respond to this condition.

Also, you require a repeated examination by a good physician (internist) to analyze the severity of the condition and further management.

You can also try doing steam inhalation and drink plenty of warm water which will help in reducing the mucus production and the cough.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome to ask me.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Dr. Naveen Kumar