How is breast cancer treated ?

I had a rotator cuff repair in January and took Lortab for pain, probably about 5-6 a day for three months. I have now be diagnosed with Cancer of the breast and by ALT is 120 and AST 53. What are possible reasons for evelated lab work? Everything else is normal
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 36 minutes later
Hello Bettie.
Chronic intake of Lortab shows some side effects like dizziness, itching, lightheadedness, nausea, sweating, drowsiness, constipation, vomiting, and euphoria. But it is not likely to be responsible for the raised liver enzymes.
The other medicines you are taking also do not seem to be responsible.
You have not mentioned that the breast carcinoma is of what stage?
The liver enzymes that have come are not too much raised to cause an alarm. It might be due to some minor liver infection or due to some metastatic focus present in the liver if the breast Ca is in advanced stage.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.

Follow-up: How is breast cancer treated ? 51 minutes later
My breast cancer is stage 2 and scheduled for surgery this Friday 6/3. It seems you are saying I don't have to be too concerned about increases in my liver test? Thanks for the help
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later
Hello Bettie.

Thanks for writing back.

Stage 2 cancer means no secondaries. So, the liver problem is not likely to be due to cancer.

You may need to reevaluate your liver function tests after the surgery is over.

This seems like a minor irregularity and should improved. Avoid smoking / alcohol if any. If the values deteriorate, further evaluation is entailed.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.

Wish you an early recovery.