How is brain aneurysm detected ?

I've had a sudden increase in my BP from 120/70 to 140/80 and I have tinnitus in my left ear that started 6 weeks ago. I ruptured my achilles tendon 8 months ago. My recent blood work was normal, except for high cholesterol (Total=271) & I've enjoyed good health my entire life. However, I have a strong family history of brain, abdominal & aortic aneurysms (grandmother, mother, aunt & uncle) My mom died at the age of 63. Two questions. Could the ATR rupture cause the elevated BP? And, with my family history, should I have an MRI to rule out an aneurysm?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later

What do you mean by ATR rupture, do you mean Achillis tendon rupture?

Achillis tendon rupture 8 months back is a pretty long time for the blood pressure to settle down. Blood pressure can rise if it is in the recent past because of various factors. So I do not think the blood pressure is raised because of this.

If you are asking about Abdominal thoracic rupture can take place when the blood pressure rises and not vice versa. Arterial aneurysms if they rupture cause extensive bleeding leading to a sudden fall in blood pressure instead of an increase.

You do have a strong family history of aneurysms and have a high risk factor also - raised cholesterol-responsible for atherosclerosis. It is good idea to screen for Aortic Aneurysms.

There are few studies that were conducted on the need for screening for Aortic Aneurysms. None of them proved cost effective in women. These trials were done with routine Ultrasound screening, so if Ultrasound which is cheaper than MRI is not cost effective, I do not think MRI is either.

However the various methods used to screen AAA are Ultrasound, CT scan, MRI scan. You should better speak to your doctor which one he prefers.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow ups.
Follow-up: How is brain aneurysm detected ? 13 hours later
Thank you. Yes, I meant an achilles tendon rupture. As to the AAA, should I assume by your answer that the tinnitus is likely unrelated? I went to an ENT doc who said it's likely related to hearing loss, but I want to be sure it's not symptomatic of a brain aneurysm. A little more background--I've never smoked (all my relatives did) & 5 years ago I had a complete heart workup showing 0% plaque in my arteries. I also had a CT scan of my abdomen last year when I went to the ER for chest pains and all was normal. Since my 75-year-old uncle (who smoked for 60 years) just passed away from an AAA after getting three plugs & a stent, I'm more anxious about identifying the signs early, because 2 of my relatives died suddenly with no chance of any medical intervention. My cholesterol is now at 154 after taking Lipitor for 2 weeks. Should that help offset my genetic predisposition for AAA? Many thanks.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Tinnitus is not likely to be related to your chances of having a brain aneurysm.With 0% plaques in your arteries, the chances of you having the aneurysm are even more less.

Sincerely hope it will help.

Wishing you an early recovery.