How is bone cyst or osteoporosis treated ?

Hi. I'm in the USAF and I got 3 stress fractures during basic training. One in my left heel which completed, another in one of the small bones at the top of my left foot and also one in my right femoral neck at 75%. I spent a week in the hospital waiting for surgery on my hip but the doctors cancelled it at the last minute. It took me a year before I could properly run on it. I did about 5 months of physical therapy. Since I started running I've had pain in my left hip now. Had xrays yesterday and they saw a dark spot in the ball part of the hip. I'm waiting for an MRI now. I still have pain in my right hip and left foot. With all this history what might this new injury be and when will I stop having pain in the old injuries. I'm now 26 years old, 5'3" about 125 lbs. Thank you for any info!
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Osteoporosis
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 26 minutes later

The dark area in the ball of the hip that they have noticed might be the necrosed bone due to the earlier fracture you had in the neck of femur. The exact situation can become clear only after further investigations like MRI.
The pain at the site of old fractures is a common thing due to the mild roughness in that area left which interferes with the smooth gliding of tendons over it causing mild arthritis like symptoms. These will appear whenever there will be an overwork involving theses areas.
For relief, you can have mild pain killers like ibuprofen or acetaminophen. A hot fomentation to the area will also decrease local inflammation.

You will need to consult an orthopaedician if the pain recurrs.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow ups.
Follow-up: How is bone cyst or osteoporosis treated ? 7 hours later
The dark spot is in the opposite hip of the earlier fracture. Could this still be necroses of the bone? I know you can't say for sure but hypothetically.
Thank you for your answer.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 51 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

If the dark spot now is on the opposite side then it might be suggestive of bone cyst or osteoporosis. The exact diagnosis can be made only after examination by an orthopaedician.

Sincerely hope it will help.

Wishing you an early recovery.