How is blood pressure controlled through diet and medication ?

I am a 46 year old male who takes medication to control my high blood pressure, however my blood pressure right now is 167/112, but I feel normal and fine, should I be worried?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 30 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Blood Pressure readings keep on fluctuating throughout the day and it depends on various factors as during morning hours, after exercise, food, stress etc.. it is generally on the higher side. The readings which you have mentioned are definitely on the higher side.

I will advise you to keep monitoring the BP for a day and if it does not drop down even after taking regular medications or increases then consider visiting ER for evaluation even if you do not have any symptoms.

Meanwhile avoid any stress, anger, exercises, processed foods, smoking and alcohol.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up if any.
Follow-up: How is blood pressure controlled through diet and medication ? 7 hours later
Thank you for your response Dr. Mitaly.

what do you mean when you say avoid "processed food"?

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Thanks for the follow up

Processed food is any packaged,real food material that has been refined and preservatives have been added to increase its life.Since they contain added salt and are devoid of natural ingredients and fibres they can further increase the Blood Pressure, so kindly avoid having them.Instead prefer freshly prepared food.

Wishing you Good Health!