How is bacterial vaginosis treated ?

I am 41, female, 198, 5'4", no sex in over a year. Not daily but on occasion I smell funny. I have a urethra itch and pain but not when urinating. just out of no where a pain and it hurts a lot. Then a few hours pass and again pain. Itch has gotten worse today. I did have an under breast yeast infection and it was after that all this started about a couple months ago.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 10 minutes later

Do you have any vaginal discharge apart from the itching?
Describe the smell?
Do you have any history of diabetes or have you checked your blood sugar?

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: How is bacterial vaginosis treated ? 1 hour later
Sometimes I smell fishey, occassional discharge, but now it's a strong offsetting odor. I had gestational diabetes, 4 years ago but no way of checking my sugar now. Five months ago I was told my labs showed I had some inflammation. Was checking for rheumatoid arthritis. Was negative. I'm always tired. Chronic sore throats.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 7 minutes later

Thanks for the information.

It seems like you have a vaginal infection.Bacterial vaginosis is pretty common.A course of antibiotics is recommended.Also genital hygiene is very important.
I would also suggest getting your blood sugar levels suggested as diabetes induces more infections.
Also after 40 years of age,regular pap smear tests should be done.

See your doctor for medication.
Get your blood sugar tested.
Keep good hygiene.Wash with antiseptic.

You also need to improve your immune system.Chronic sore throats arent related to vaginitis.You will need meds for that too.