How is bacterial infection treated ?

General Surgeon
Hi I am 18 years old and for the past about 3 months I havent been feeling well, Ive been unusually tired, very worn out after alot of sleep, very dizzy, alot of nausea (no vomiting), ive been having abdominal pain, (I am not pregnant) I went to the ER & they did find a UTI (very small uti) , I was on antibiotics (2xs a day 7days) then I finished them and the symptoms came right back, I went back and got a different kind of antibiotics & just started taking them yesterday, but what really concerned me was last night at 12am, I was cooking and I started getting very light headed, I sat down everytime it happend then I stood up and blacked out, I couldnt see anything for about 15 seconds, so I lyed on the couch and the black out was follwed by a horrible migrane. I woke up this morning with the migrane still there. I keep going to the doctors and they think its being caused by the UTI, which I disagree? I dont know whats wrong but a UTI can cause all this? Ive been feeling sooo worn out when I dont even do anything, I use to have ALOT of energy but now I just wanna sleep all day which is VERY unusual for me.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 1 hour later

At such an early age of 18 symptoms of vomiting, nausea, dizziness can't be due to simple UTI for which you have treated twice with a course of antibiotics. As you have mentioned there is no chance of pregnancy, transient blackening can be due to sudden fall of blood pressure (transient orthostatic hypotension),which can occur due to many reasons.

Transient hypotension followed by headache or migraine can occur. As you are still feeling very weak & exhausting, this shows it must be some thing chronic, either infection or some organic pathology.

In my opinion you need through reevaluation from some very experienced physician & along with re-testing for complete haemogram, blood culture, urine complete & urine culture along with ultrasound of whole abdomen to reach the correct diagnosis & proper management.

In my opinion UTI alone can't be the cause of your whole problem.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.
Follow-up: How is bacterial infection treated ? 2 hours later
Everytime I go to the doctors they check my blood presssure and it is usually okay, I checked it today it was 106/71. They did an ultra sound of my ovaries because of my cramping & they said everything was fine.
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 25 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Blood pressure does not appear to be the cause in your case. It may turn out to be some low grade viral of bacterial infection, focus of which must be located. Ultrasound of only ovary is not sufficient, it must be of whole abdomen. Without proper diagnosis, treatment caries no meaning. Only constant observation & investigation can help to make correct diagnosis.

Wish you Good Health and speedy recovery.