Ask a Urologist   »  

How is back pain and pain during urination controlled ?

I'm having multi-symptom issues. It burns when I urinate, about two inches left and right of my navel experience pain, I have minor back pain sometimes, am constipated and sometimes find traces of blood in excrement. It's sometimes difficult to fart and have bowel movements. I have noticed, but may be incidental that sometimes when I fart I need to urinate. I had very bad testicle pain, however that has cleared up for the most part. CT Scan (Not IV CT) of lower abdomen was clear, urine tests are clear of STD/UTI. I was placed on antibiotics for 21 days for 500mg worth. It was unsuccessful. Incidentally, while taking the antibiotics, the testicle pain went away. Doctors have checked my testicles for epidydimitis via ultrasound. There was nothing found on the ultrasound. There is no blood in my urine. I have been checked for kidney stones. Thoughts?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 26 minutes later

1. Burning sensation while urination. The most common cause for this will be Infection. However, you have mentioned that your urine examination was normal. So infection is less likely. However, you did have testicular pain which subsided with antibiotics. This means that there was mild infection of the genitourinary tract which was not apparent in urine test or ultrasound, but got better with antibiotics.
There are also other causes of dysuria (Burning Urination). This includes, dehydration and concentrated urine, injury to the urinary passages or sometimes increased acidity of urine.
Take plenty of fluids. Start on urine alkalinizer such as Citralka this will be of benefit.

2. Difficulty in passing motions with sometimes blood in stools. Well this can be either due to Fissure or due to Hemorrhoids. Both require a per rectal examination and confirmation of diagnosis. If not severe, they can be managed with medications to soften the stools. Do consult your physician to confirm the diagnosis.

Some times, when we fart, there is increase in abdominal pressure. If there is irritability in urinary tract, this can be associated with some passage of urine as well. That's what is happening in your case.

Hope this answers your query.
Please get back if you need any further information.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran
Follow-up: How is back pain and pain during urination controlled ? 22 hours later
I had a prostate exam that was... less than comfortable. I've had two. The first one was terrible. However, the second was not so bad. Do you think that the brutality of the first prostate exam could have caused my rectal problems?
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 8 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

Well if an injury was caused to you while prostate examination, it can lead to such symptoms. However, such lesions usually heal in couple of days.

Get a proctoscopic examination and this will clear the issue for you.

Hope this answers your query.

Take Care

Dr Kiran