How is atrophic pancreas treated ?

Question
I was just diagnosed with an atrophic pancreas. Is that the same as chronic pancreatitis? Ws it caused by alcohol? Are there any foods I should avoid? What, in addition to enzyme replacement, can I try to restore health to my pancreas?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Hello
Atrophic pancreas occurs due to chronic pancreatic inflammation usually due to diabetes or excessive fat deposition on the pancreatic tissue. Chronic alcohol consumption is also one of the common causes. The most common problem seen is enzyme deficiency. The main line of treatment is to avoid the aggravating factors and then allow the pancres heal on its own.
You can help the treatment by-
1.Cessation of alcohol consumption and tobacco smoking ( if any)
2. Taking regular antioxidant supplements like Vitamin E, l- carnitine, lycopene, etc.
3. Avoid fat intake- oily foods.
4. Take fat soluble vitamin supplements to prevent their deficiency.
5. Try soft and easy to digest foods- small meals at short intervals.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Regards.