How is anxiety induced paraesis treated ?

ENT Specialist
Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here... hello this os a starnge question but ive been getting this strange feeling in the right side of my body its like i need to keep tighting my arm and leg i also feel like i need to keep blinking my right eye its like i need to put pressure on my right side of my body please can u give me any advice on what it could be its driving me insane!
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 8 hours later

Well, there is no need to think negative. From your history, it is clear that you have weakness over the right side of your body including the face.

Now, let me discuss about this condition, there are many causes for this condition, like brain infarct, head trauma, hypertension, facial paresis. etc.

But your age suggests, that possibilities of any serious ailment is rare.

You will have to consult a neurologist soon, and get a MRI Brain done at an urgent basis, to exclude any pathology.

Your doctor will also conduct some physical tests on you to evaluate your sensory and motor nervous system and do a cranial nerve examination as well.

So, my advice is to take appointment with your neurologist, and that too on an urgent basis, because the neurological problems are usually progressive.

Also, if you are doing any sort of exercises except walking, please hold it for a few weeks and see the response.

Alter your diet, increase protein content, with plenty of fluids.

Hope this will help you, I will be available for your follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: How is anxiety induced paraesis treated ? 4 hours later
Now im worried, could it be my anxiety making that feeling in my arms and legs
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 3 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

Yes, anxiety may cause similar symptoms. But the picture will clear , only after the MRI report.

I encourage you to consult a neurologist for physical examination. The scans can be done under their guidance.

As I mentioned in my earlier answer, considering your age, I am sure you will have only benign condition. The chance of serious ailment is rare.

Wish you good health

Follow-up: How is anxiety induced paraesis treated ? 2 hours later
it only happened yesturday and now its wearing off, what sort of condition do u think it will be
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 57 minutes later
Hi again,

If the symptoms have been since a day and is weaning off, then chances of anxiety induced paraesis is more likely.

Neurologically, transient ischemic attacks which is a mild, yet concerning condition can present in a similar manner. Hence I do suggest you to see a doctor. I am sure that, your MRI reports will come normal. So do not be worried much.

Hope I have been informative and reassuring.

Wish you good health.