How is an open sore on the back treated ?

My husband is an invalid he has an open sore on his butt or back I have been using neosporin and a bandage, he never gets out of bed, what can I use to heal the sore?Thanks
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

An open sore in the back in a debilitated patient is most likely a bed sore.

The first and foremost thing is to avoid the development of further sore by changing the posture of your husband frequently. Make him lie on his side rather than his back for longer intervals of time.

Regarding the wound care, first, you need to clean the wound. Wash it with savlon or mild soap and water and then remove the debris, dead tissue and pus from the area using a diluted hydrogen peroxide solution till you can see the red or pink colored tissue underneath it or active bleeding is seen. Bleeding helps in removing the infection and early healing of the wound. Next apply bacitracin or neosporin or soframycin ointment or antibiotic powder over the area an cover it with a paraffin gauge to keep the area covered to prevent it from further infections.

You need to get the wound examined from your physician from time to time and can get serratiopeptidase or trypsin- chymotrypsin tablets prescribed from him for an early wound healing.

Blood sugars needs to be monitored regularly and kept under control. Sometimes oral antibiotics would be needed which you can be prescribed by a physician.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.