How is allergic dermatitis of labia treated ?

The right side of my labia was very itchy and after scratching, I noticed that there was a small round piece of skin that was torn. I put some cortisone cream on it and its fine now. It was only itchy when I started touching down there
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Itchy skin of labia followed by some torn skin in the area is suggestive of two things-
1.Dermatitis- caused by infections, allergies, and irritants (such as soaps, certain creams).Lesions are usually in the form of itchy small red bumps.
When become white headed, it may indicate a secondary bacterial infection and formation of pus.
2.Herpes simplex - Genital herpes is a very common disease caused by herpes virus type2. It results in small, very painful blisters (fluid is inside the lesion), genital irritation, itching, they burst into the sores turns into crust, that scab
and heal in about 3 weeks.
Special tests include:
Blood tests, Microscopic examination of tissue scrap from lesions, Viral cell culture test

Direct clinical examination is essential to rule out the above conditions.
If the itchy area that you are having is not associated with any kind of pain or discharge then it might be due to friction or fungal infection. You can apply a local antiseptic and antifungal ointment to have relief.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Follow-up: How is allergic dermatitis of labia treated ? 5 hours later
I have no blisters, it is just one particular spot. I have had no more itch since the email I sent you this morning. There is no pain at all.
Thanks for writing again.
If your symptoms have subsided then probably it was allergic dermatitis. Continue using cortisone cream for few more days until the itchy patch disappears completely.
Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing you an early recovery.