How is acne and folliculitis treated ?

i have something swelled up on the bottom of my buttcheek near the inside of my thigh. i thought it was a pimple at first but i dont think thats what it is. its a little swollen and hurts a little but not too much. what could it be?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

If it has started with a pimple like thing and has grown big and painful now, then it seems to be a FOLLICULITIS. It is due to bacterial infection of the hair follicle which has grown XXXXXXX now. It is usually seen in occluded areas of body where one sweats a lot and has presence of moisture.
Also seen more commonly, but not necessarily, in diabetic patients.

I would advise you to see a GP or Dermatologist as it requires oral antibiotics along with topical antibiotic cream.

Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
1. Keep the area clean and dry
2. Avoid tight fitting clothes.
3. Can apply talc powder which will help in avoiding stagnation of the moisture.

Hope this answers your query, if you have any further questions, kindly write back to us. I'll be available for your follow up questions.