How is acid reflux treated ?

ENT Specialist
I am a 47 year old male I have recently started exercising again. When I play tennis or ride my bike I get a lump feeling in the center of my chest under mt sternum area. I do have acid reflux and asthma. Non history of heart illness but am nervous
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

The sensation of the lump in the epigastric region could be due to the reflux of the acid from the stomach itself. This occurs when the acid gets regurgitated into the esophagus through the lower esophageal sphincter, it irritates the esophageal tube as the mucosa of the esophagus differs from that of the stomach. Due to constant irritation, there will be inflammation with swelling over the region of the esophagus causing foreign body sensation.

It increases during the episodes of stress, as the physical exercises induce stress it in turn increases the gastric reflux and hence the epigastric discomfort.

I would suggest you to take proton pump inhibitors (to reduce the acid secretion) after consulting your doctor, drink plenty of water and avoid taking milk or other beverages before doing exercise. No need to worry, as this problem does not seem to look like a cardiac related condition

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon