How is accidental trauma to the ears treated ?

I was cleaning my left ear with a q tip when my 4 year old jumped up and hit my elbow. The q tip went in too far and my ear has been bleeding. What should I do?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 17 minutes later

Bleeding from the ear after accidental trauma by Q tip is indicative of middle ear trauma and tympanic membrane perforation or eardrum perforation. It may cause discharge from the ear which may be bloody, ear noise and earache.

You need to get an examination done from an ENT specialist and he needs to examine your ear using an instrument called an otoscope. If the eardrum is ruptured, the doctor will see an opening in it.

The opening in the eardrum usually heals by itself within 2 months during which time antibiotics can help prevent further infection during the healing process but sometimes it may require intervention. This may take the form of a paper patch to promote healing (a simple procedure by an ear, nose and throat specialist) or surgery (tympanoplasty).

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.