How is abnormality in gastrointestinal tract found by colonoscopy and endoscopy?

well, I had my labs and colonoscopy/ endoscopy done by my gastro and nothing was noted except some mild gastritis which I have had off and on for over 10 years. The colon was stated as "grossly normal".Gastro said nothing to worry about and sent me on my way. I still have days where notice increased gas and I still notice that film on the water with BM that my gastro says is mucus. I asked about a fecal fat test but my gastro said that if I was having fat malabsorbtion issues that it would have shown up in my blood work. She also said I'd have lost a significant amount of weight by now so she didn't see a need for that test. My stools are solid and the mucus on the stool isn't there anymore, like I said just the residue on the water and occasional gas is the only thing that is still lingering. She did say if it was a protozoa infection it seems to be resolving and said it would be best to let it continue to resolve on it's own. Any thoughts? Forgot that the scope did not a moderate size hemorrhoid and I was prescribed anucort.
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 34 hours later
Brief Answer: Try wait and watch policy... Detailed Answer: Hi, Apologies for the late reply... I was out of station with no access to internet and therefore I couldn't answer earlier. Normal endoscopy and colonoscopy rules out many structural causes including inflammatory bowel disease and polyps. I am glad it turned out normal. In this context, since you are getting back to normal, I think you can wait out for couple of weeks more. Improving diet - adding more fibre rich food and exercise should improve your stool habits and bloating. If the gassy distended feeling is troubling, you may add semithicone tablets for few days. As far as malabsorption is concerned, I agree that it is less likely. Reasons being: 1. I haven't heard of malabsorption symptoms presenting acutely. 2. Fatty stools float in the water and are difficult to flush. What you have is a thin layer of films (most likely mucous) on the stool. 3. Some deficiency are picked on blood tests. 4. And yes, you would have lost weight, felt very weak and fatigued with malabsorption. The bottomline is that you seem to be alright. Wait out for few more weeks. Start a fibre rich diet and exercise and be least worried. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow-up: How is abnormality in gastrointestinal tract found by colonoscopy and endoscopy? 36 hours later
Well, my gastro approched my questions with kind of a " this is just how things are now and live with it" answer. She said she didn't see anything alarming at all. Again, since my stool itself is solid and normal color, the only puzzling thing is just the residue on the top of the water. Though the residue is there my stool is normal and solid and has been for quite a while. I assume this is why my gastro has given me the answers she has. Since I never really studied my stool before this onset of symptoms, I wonder if some mucus is within normal on the water? Like I said, If there was no residue on the water I wouldn't even be asking questions as everything else seems normal. Thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 34 hours later
Brief Answer: Waiting out would be an option... Detailed Answer: I understand you are concerned. However with tests being normal, most serious concerns are ruled out. In few of my patients following infection, stool consistency and other abnormalities improved with time. Since you have had these symptoms acutely, I feel you should get better without any medical interference. Colonoscopy was ordered to rule out structural as well as inflammatory problems. As the report turned out normal, you should not be worried. It is also good to know that you have no pain and your stools are well formed. Take lots of fibres, probiotics and fluids. I don't feel you would have healthy implications due to this stool problem. Hope this helps. Regards