How is abdominal injury due to accident treated ?

I was in a car accident on XXXXXXX 13th a few days later I noticed my stomach getting swollen. I always watch what I eat and never ever had a large stomach. I went to see the doctor and there was no ultrasound done, but he said it is possible just contusions from hitting the steering wheel. I have my tubes tied so I know its not pregnancy. I also have not got my period at all. It is getting bigger and I thought by now it would go down by now..what can i do
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 30 minutes later

It has been about more then 3 weeks that you had an accident.Swelling in abdomen getting bigger and bigger might be due to accident.

The abdominal injury to the extent of giving rise to visible swelling can not be silent.There has to be presence of some other symptoms like abdominal pain,vomiting etc.In case of accident one always need to look for injury to XXXXXXX organs.This is a major event can not be silent and most of time can not be over looked by doctor.

Still in case you are too much concerned with this,you should visit a surgeon and get your self examined and even an ultrasound done.

It is possible that some laxity of muscles may be already there and due to this accident you have become more concern about it and you have started looking for it now.

Still to be on safer side and satisfaction ultrasound is a better choice.

I hope this answers your query,I will be available for follow up as well.

Follow-up: How is abdominal injury due to accident treated ? 2 hours later
I understand what you are saying, but why would the swelling be getting worse? It also seems to be more swollen on the right side. I am not getting my period either. It was tender before and still somewhat now. My abdomen is very hard also its not like flabby. Is there anything that can be done if it is just injury from the accident? I am taking an anti inflammatory and it is doing nothing. I am not the only one who notices this, my family all asked if I was pregnant. I am embarassed by how big my abdomen looks. This doesn't seem normal. I am more constipated now and also have a lot of gas. My breasts hurt like I am getting my period but not pregnant.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Good to hear from you again.

I know you are concerned. Local tenderness at a particular spot is possible because of impact.

Generalized increase in size of abdomen must be because of some other reason and ultrasound is the first thing that can give clue to what is happening inside.

Please take light diet and avoid taking too much of analgesics.

Visit your doctor again and get your self examined. Absent periods again needs some investigation.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a speedy recovery.