How is Vasovagal response treated ?

I've recently had two episodes of fainting. Each time the incident was preceded by a laughing 'fit', once while standing, the other seated. I'm a 48yr old male, 6'1" and 215lbs. I workout regularly, both weights and cardio, and have no major health issues. I'm wondering as to possible casuses of this fainting. In each case, i was 'out' less than 25 secs, though i was aware of my surroundings, i.e. could hear what was going on around me.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 32 minutes later

Your question is a good one and I will try to give you some information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

The act of laughing can activate part of your central nervous system which subsequently can cause a drop in blood pressure. This could possibly explain what is going on in your case. This is referred to as a VasoVagal response.

Regardless, I think you need to see a physician for a workup of this. A workup typically includes a baseline EKG physical exam and laboratory studies. An Echocardiogram may be done also to document good heart function. Sometimes as well we perform an Ultrasound of the Carotid arteries to make sure there is no disturbance of blood flow to the brain.

Since this has happened on more than one occasion in your case I really feel you should have it worked up.

I thank you again for submitting your query. I hope you found my response to be adequate an informative. Should you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga.