How is Pruritis ani treated ?

General Surgeon
hello I am a 22 year old male and no health problems. I have had a problem with anal itching but am to embarrassed to go to the doctor. It wont go away Ive had it for months and Ive tried some different creams. I have eczema so that might be it. My anus itches and sometimes bleeds but not bad. Also it looks red but there are no bumps or warts or anything. If it were an std what signs would there be? Ive had this problem for over a year and at that point only had a sex with a couple girls so im really hoping thats not the problem. And im straight as an arrow so no XXXXXXX sex or anything. Please help
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 51 minutes later

Your history says that you are a young man of 22 years of age with sexual history, but no XXXXXXX sex, anal itching for months and some time bleeds also.

Anal itching in medical science is known as Pruritis ani.

Pruritus ani is the irritation of the skin at the exit of the rectum or in the peri anal area i.e. around anus, causing persistent desire to scratch in the area.

The desire to scratch in the area or intensity of itching increases during increased humidity, with moisture, pressure, and rubbing caused by clothing and on prolonged sitting.

Some times anal scratching or itching causes intolerable discomfort that is accompanied by burning sensation and soreness around the anus.

As pruritus ani is quite common & occur in so many patients both male & female, so one should never feel hesitant to discuss matter with the doctor.

Doctors are to help you, one should never feel shy discussing any type of medical problem with the doctors.

As there is no bumps, warts or tags, so chances of STD are less.

Common causes of perianal itching are

Eczema can be the precipitating factor of anal itching.

Anal perspiration, Frequent loose stools, Diarrhea, Residual stool deposits in those who use paper napkins, Escape of small amounts of stool as a result of incontinence or flatulence, Yeast infection or Candidiasis.

Some diseases that increase the possibility of yeast infections are diabetes mellitus or HIV infection or even STD.

Course of antibiotics that can bring about a disturbance in the natural balance of intestinal flora, can lead to perianal thrush, a yeast infection, affecting the anus.

Psoriasis,fistulas in ano, pin-worms, hemorrhoids, fissures, and skin tags, irritating chemicals in foods consumed are the other causes.

In my opinion proper medical help & investigation to find the exact cause, can solve your problem in much better way.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”

Follow-up: How is Pruritis ani treated ? 2 hours later
so you think I have Pruritis ani? what can I do to make it stop like I said this has been happening for months now its not a huge deal it doesnt bother me extremely bad but is annoying. Also did you see the picture I attached?
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 3 hours later

Nice to hear from you again.

I have seen the picture attached it suggest chronic perianal dermatitis most probably eczematous in origin.

So in such circumstances dermatologist can help you more for quicker & permanent recovery.

Treatment may take time for complete recovery.

Hope I have answered your question well to your satisfaction. Wish you speedy complete recovery at the earliest.