How is Irritable Bowel Syndrome treated ?

Hi! I had an MRI about a year ago, suspecting gall stones. Can they miss gall stones on a MRI? My liver tests are showing high values and I have discomfort under my right ribs that make sitting for a long time, in a car for example, almost unbearable. My stomach is constantly upset but I feel better on a gall stone diet. My stomach is like a balloon right now after eating rye bread with butter along with tea with honey - the discomfort under the ribs is always there when my stomach hurts.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 4 hours later

Thanks for your query
Important points of your query:
•     Presence of Irritable bowel syndrome
•     Normal MRI scan, some abnormality in LFT
•     Complaints of: pain in right hypochondria, bloating sensation
•     Current reason of query: possibility of missing gallstone on MRI

Your symptom description and normal MRI report are points in favour of IBS.
Abdominal ultrasound is best investigation to look and diagnose gall stones.

I would like to focus further discussion on IBS as it is your current diagnosis. IBS is diagnosed when no pathology is found to patient problems because of that many times patient may have to face many unnecessary investigations and even surgery.

IBS pathology related to dysfunction in brain-gastrointestinal tract coordination. Its common symptoms are: Abdominal pain, bloating sensation, diarrhoea and constipation (alternating)

Treatment is done by:
•     Dietary fibres Psyllium, laxative and anti diarrhoeal
•     Antispasmodics for abdominal pain
•     Low dose tricyclic antidepressants
•     Relaxation therapy, cognitive behaviour therapy (psychotherapy)
•     Hypnosis

IBS is associated with anxiety and depressive symptoms in more than 90% of cases and I would like to know presence of these symptoms in your case.

Hope this will help you. I will be available for follow up query.

Wish you Good Health