How is HIV spread?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
Hi Doctor I recently went to a massage parlor exactly a month ago , had a full body to body massage , at the end of the massage i received a BJ with a condom on , i fingered the woman's vagina for a brief 45- 60 seconds , whats worrying me is that i have a habit of biting my nails and not sure if i had a hangnail or superficial cuts on my fingers, Am i at risk for a possible HIV exposure , I'm really beginning to worry a lot , please help Regards XXXX
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Exposure code and status code for HIV exposure Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. XXXXXXX Thanks for choosing health care magic for your query. I have gone through your query and I understand your concern regarding possible exposure to HIV. Potential exposure can be defined as exposure to blood, body fluids, other potentially infectious materials or an instrument contaminated with one of the substances of a confirmed HIV infected person. I want to elaborate that potential exposure can be assessed based on the below mentioned codes: 1. Exposure code 2. Status code Exposure code is of three types EC1, EC2 and EC3 based on the type of exposure and the volume and duration of exposure. EC1 - intact skin, mucous membrane or skin compromised and exposed to small amount of infectious fluid and for short duration (few seconds) EC2 - Mucous membrane or skin compromised to large volume of infectious fluid and for longer duration (few minutes) EC3 - Percutaneous exposure meaning needle prick Based on the details mentioned in your query, assuming you had minor cuts or hang nail, then that is compromised skin and exposure to vaginal fluid was for about 1 min, so this could be considered as EC2 type of exposure. Status code is of three types SC1, SC2 and SC unknown. This code denotes the HIV status of the person you are exposed to. SC1 is HIV positive person but asymptomatic, SC2 is HIV positive person with full blown AIDS and SC unknown is when HIV status is unknown. There is no mention of the HIV status of the masseuse, so this is SC unknown type of status code. The HIV status of the masseuse is not known, but suspicion of high risk behavior cannot be ruled out in this case. I suggest you undergo 28 day HIV duo test which will help confirm your HIV status and also relieve your anxiety regarding this episode. 28 day duo test tests for p24 antigen and HIV antibodies and if it is negative, you are definitely HIV negative. I hope I have cleared your doubts. Please get back if any more clarifications. Thanks.