How is GERD caused by anxiety ?

hello im a 31yo female not overweight but i am out of shape only medical problem is svt that is controlled with a beta blocker i do have anxiety and panic disorder along with gerd i have had exstensive cardio work up over the past 2 yrs including a stress test echo 3D cardiogram and a 24 hrs holter all results came back neg only pvcs and pacs my question is i just started an exercise program and when i exercise my throat feels tight and somewhat painful i can still breath and swallow fine with no dizziness is this worrisome or could it be anxiety considering i do get alittle anxious when i do exercise
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

Important points of your case:
•     Presence of GERD, SVT, anxiety and panic disorder
•     Normal stress test, echo and holder monitoring
•     Current reason of query: feeling of tight throat

First it was nice to see good briefing of case.
As you mentioned about the presence of anxiety and panic disorder I would like to mention common problem faced by these patient apart from common symptoms of anxiety:
•     Increase pulse rate (tachycardia)
•     Hyperarousal state: enhanced sensitivity for normal body sensations like experiencing palpitation leading to fear of heart disease in spite of normal investigation reports.
•     Excessive worry related to health, finance and family members
•     Increase acid secretion: In your case it may exacerbate GERD
•     Multiple pain complaints (somatic symptoms)
•     Dryness of mouth: in your case it can lead tightness of throat during exercise.

Your problem of tightness of throat can also because of GERD which is exacerbated by anxiety.
I would like to advice to seek psychiatrist help for anxiety and continue GERD treatment.

Hope this will help you. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow up.

Wish you Good Health.