How is GERD and panic attacks treated ?

hello i wrote to you before . i have been having pressure in my chest for some time . its like some one is sitting on my chest. and some shortness of breath . with my panick attacks my doctors r telling me i am ok. i am afraid of miocarditis. 2 weeks ago i went to my doc i had some congestion so she found little sinus infection gave me antibiotic listen to me in every position but said she didnt want to do ekg. i also had an echo done in may it was fine, i laso had ct scan with a XXXXXXX done inmay to check my lungs it was fine. i do have gerd dont take nothing for it. so can y help me. why shortnes of breath and pressure in my chest
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 6 hours later

I can understand your concern for these symptoms but in females in reproductive years the female hormones protect the heart from any cardiac disease. Since your ECHO (in may) and CT scan have come out normal, hence it does not look like a cardiac and respiratory problem.

It looks like panic attack and GERD ( gastroesophageal reflux disease) to me. Panic attack is a response of the sympathetic nervous system and is characterized by trembling, dyspnea (shortness of breath), heart palpitations, chest pain (or chest tightness), hot flashes, feeling of warmth and sweating.

You require psychological counseling and anti anxiety medicines for these.
In addition to these medicines, here are some of the other treatment options which you can follow:

1)     When you have such symptoms, breathe slowly through the nose and talk to your family and friends.
2)     Do not take caffeine of alcohol at night just before going to bed.
3)     Indulge in yoga and meditation to calm your mind.
4)     You can also indulge in progressive muscle relaxation which is useful in anxiety by alternately tensing and relaxing the muscles.
5)     Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks.
6)     It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down.
7)     To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.
8)     Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole after consulting your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.