Ask a Urologist   »  

How is Escherichia coli infection treated during pregnancy ?

I am pregnant in 7th month. I have tested positive for E Coli in urine culture test and doctor has prescrobed Gentamicin injections 80 mg twice daily for 7 days. Is it safe to have these injections in pregnancy and is there any risk on fetus from these.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 25 minutes later
Hello Bindra,

Urinary tract infections are common during pregnancy, and the most common causative organism is Escherichia coli. Asymptomatic bacteriuria can lead to the development of cystitis or pyelonephritis.

Gentamycin (the aminoglycoside antibiotic which is most commonly prescribed during pregnancy) is a safe medication and has not been associated with any birth defects or to cause fetal harm.

You can undergo treatment with this medications.

I hope this clears your doubts regarding the medication. I shall be available to answer any further doubts or questions that you may have.