How is Complex Regional Pain Syndrome treated ?

I am a 39 yo female diagnosed with RSD/CRPS 2yrs ago. Are there any particualr fungus associated with the skin lesions? I have white, almost pellet like discharge that emits from what starts out looking like an acne whitehead. It will continue to drain nonstop & I end up with little white stubs of stuff falling off of me...
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 44 minutes later
Thanks for posing your query and for using Health Care Magic

CRPS, ie, Complex Regional Pain Syndrome is that is believed to be the result of dysfunction in the central or peripheral nervous systems. It usually includes dramatic changes in the color and temperature of the skin over the affected limb or body part, accompanied by intense burning pain, skin sensitivity, sweating, and swelling. Its of two types

CRPS I is frequently triggered by tissue injury; the term describes all patients with the above symptoms but with no underlying nerve injury.
CRPS II patients experience the same symptoms but their cases are clearly associated with a nerve injury.

Symptoms are varied and can include Pain. Skin Sensitivity, changes in skin colour and texture, discharge temperature intolerance and motor instability.

There is not role or involvement of Fungus in the skin lesions of CRPS. However, due to chronic skin changes, there can be secondary fungal infection.
You can get a KOH Smear testing of the discharge for confirming the presence of an fungal infection.

Since there is no definitive treatment, NINDS-supported scientists are studying new approaches to treat CRPS.

Hope this answers your query.

Thanks and Regards
Dr Kiran