Ask a Urologist   »  

How is Balanoposthitis treated ?

Hi am suffering from a very bad case of penile thrush. Did not know that i had it, but after i had sex with my GF i had sever cuts and abrashions on my foreskin. I pulled back my foreskin to have a look, and think that only made things worse as it seemed to split further and by the time i got it back in place there was blood dripping from my foreskin. I am treating it with clotrimazole cream, but obviously can not pull back the skin to apply the cream, so have to put the cream on my little finger and push it down and around to try and cover everything. Urinating is agony, i assume this is due to the thrush and the split skin combined. Question is how long should it be before i can retrack the foreskin in order to clean properly and apply the cream evenly. I have been applying the cream for 36 hours now.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 4 hours later

You seem to have BALANOPOSTHITIS (penile thrush as you call it). It is easily treatable if started early.

You have rightly started a local antifungal, that is clotrimazole. But you may start also start some oral antifungal medicine. It will help in healing faster.

You may also check your fasting and postprandial (two hours after meals) blood sugar. We detect many cases of Diabetes Mellitus by checking blood sugar in patients of BALANOPOSTHITIS.

By the above-mentioned treatment you may be alright in three days. Simply applying local antifungal will take a longer time.

It will take at least 72 hours more before you can retract your foreskin to clean properly and apply the cream evenly if you follow the treatments suggested above, that is Oral Antifungal medicine, local antifungal and dry heat flow.

Hope that I have answered your query properly.