How is Allergic Rhinosinusitis treated ?

ENT Specialist
Hello, I am a 25 yr old female. I am about 5'8 & weight about 135lbs. I frequently have sinus infections & my season allergies are terrible all year round. I had a really bad sinus infection about 1 month ago that turned into a respirtory infection.. I was given amoxicillan & felt great after the antibiotic was done. The past 2 days I've had a really bad headache in my forehead & temples & my ears have felt full & have ad alot of pressure. I am also a hypocondriac & take full advantage of my mom being an LPN. When I brought this to her attention last night she said it was probobaly allergies but when I said I dont have any coughing or a stuffy nose she said its still most likely allergies. I had her take my blood pressure (because I'm a hypocondriac) and it was 152/92. Which isnt normal for me. So my question is do I have a sinus infection & is that what caused my blood pressure to be elevated or is my blood pressure high & thats whats causing my headache & ear pain?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

The history furnished by you goes in the favor of Allergic Rhinosinusitis and the symptoms what you have developed now could be because of the same condition.

To explain you in brief:
> Nasal allergy leads to nasal congestion causing stuffy nose and difficulty in breathing, fullness in the ear because of the blockage of Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear).

> Longstanding nasal congestion/nasal allergy will cause edema of the sinus mucosa, impairing the drainage of sinus secretions.

> Blockage of the sinus drainage causes entrapment of bacteria leading to headache and infection.

Many a times even without any active nasal infection or nasal allergy there could be headache because of the chronic blockage of the sinuses. You need to get an X-Ray or CT scan of the Paranasal Sinuses done to rule out sinus blockage. If the reports comes as normal, then the other possibility of the headache could be Migraine.

The raise in the blood pressure could be a result of your apprehension; this will become normal once your anxiety level comes down.

I would suggest you to drink plenty of warm water, do steam inhalation 2-3 times in a day (to reduce the congestion and viscosity of the sinus secretions) and to take paracetamol for headache. If the symptoms do not improve, please do consult a good ENT specialist.

Hope I have answered your query, any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon