How high should BP be before it is an emergency?

how high does my blood pressure have to get before I go to ER. No symptoms, but spiking to 190/109 on cuff? 60 yr old male

Posted Sun, 24 Jun 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Although there is no fixed rule or cut off point but any blood pressure above 200/100-110 should be monitored by the doctor and one must go to ER specially if one is already a known hypertensive and diabetic,like you.
You must keep your blood pressure and blood sugar in control to prevent micro as well as macro vascular complications.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck.
Take care of yourself.